Lately we’ve seen an explosion of celebrities using and endorsing collagen products. So what’s in it for you? Well here are some of the benefits of collagen for you and your body.
First let’s have a look at what collagen is.
Collagen is the most abundant Protein in your body, accounting for about one-third of its protein composition.
It’s one of the major building blocks of bones, skin, muscles, tendons, and ligaments. Collagen is also found in many other body parts, including blood vessels, corneas, and teeth.
You can think of it as the “glue” that holds all these things together. In fact, the word comes from the Greek word “kólla”, which means glue.
So what are the benefits of Collagen products?
1. Skin Health. Collagen is a major component of your skin. It plays a role in strengthening skin, plus may benefit elasticity and hydration. As you age, your body produces less collagen, leading to dry skin and the formation of wrinkles. However, several studies have shown that collagen peptides or supplements containing collagen may help slow the ageing of your skin by reducing wrinkles and dryness. There are also many anecdotal claims that collagen supplements help prevent acne and other skin conditions, but these are not supported by scientific evidence.
2. Hair and Nails. Taking collagen may increase the strength of your nails by preventing brittleness. Additionally, it may stimulate your hair and nails to grow longer.
3.Gut Health. Although there is no scientific evidence to support this claim, some health practitioners promote the use of collagen supplements to treat intestinal permeability, or leaky gut syndrome
4.Brain Health. No studies have examined the role of collagen supplements in brain health. However, some people claim they improve mood and reduce symptoms of anxiety.
5 .Weight Loss. Some believe that taking collagen supplements may promote weight loss and a faster metabolism.
6. Promotes Heart Health.Taking collagen supplements may help reduce the risk factors associated with heart conditions such as atherosclerosis.
7. Boost Muscle Mass. Research has shown that consuming collagen supplements increased muscle growth and strength in people with age-related muscle mass loss.
8. Joint Pain Relief. Taking collagen supplements has been shown to reduce inflammation and stimulate collagen synthesis in the body. This may help promote pain relief among people with joint disorders like osteoarthritis.
9. Prevent Bone Loss. Consuming collagen supplements may help reduce the risk of bone disorders like osteoporosis. They have the potential to help increase BMD and lower levels of proteins in the blood that stimulate bone breakdown.
Taking collagen is associated with a number of health benefits and very few known risks. To start, supplements may improve skin health by reducing wrinkles and dryness. They may also help increase muscle mass, prevent bone loss, and relieve joint pain. People have reported many other benefits of collagen supplements, but these claims haven’t been studied much. Although several foods contain collagen, it’s unknown whether the collagen in food offers the same benefits as supplements. Collagen supplements are generally safe, quite easy to use, and definitely worth trying for their potential benefits.